Start a new topic

AirProbe direct to Smartphone Communication via Bluetooth (Beta)

We're looking for 10-15 people to test out the AirProbe direct to smartphone communication via bluetooth functionality.  If you have an Android Phone and would want to test out the new app, please let us know below.  Thank you!

Note:  You will have to have an AirProbe to BetaTest.  Many of you have them already that are testers.  If not, we are offering them for a discount and here is another $10 coupon code making them $50.   Use the promo code BETA on checkout.

Note:  7/7/2020

I want to apologize, This forum post was written a couple of weeks ago and we had already had a couple of hundred customers who have purchased BETA probes at a discount and had fulfilled the number of people needed for Beta Testing firmware and apps.  What is new is that any of our customers (whether V1, V2 or Touch) can make use of the AirProbes directly connected to the Tappecue mobile apps which are in BETA, but you have to have an AirProbe.  This will be a direct line of BLE communication from your mobile device and the probe.  It will have a distance limitation of about 100 feet depending on environment, but it is still cloud based.  If you have say a tablet that can sit within 100 feet or so, you can still be anywhere and get your temps on your phone through the Tappecue mobile app.  This will work for our V1 and V2 customers.  But if you have a Tappecue Touch, this serves as the base unit and replaces the mobile device, it will have to be within 100 feet.  We will still offer AirProbes at a discounted price of $50.  They will run around $69 at launch.  They are on our website www.tappecue.com at $60 and here is a coupon code for you for another $10 OFF  The promo code is BETA and you use it while checking out.  

I'm so sorry for the confusion.

Gina

Interested - iPhone X and probes on order

Probe ordered and would like to beta test on iPhone just need the invitation code if possible. Thanks

Sorry if a stupid question: I am having no trouble getting temps to my V2 (blue probe). However, the V2 is not sending the temps to my iPhone via Wifi. It is supposed to be able to do that, correct?
Sorry if a stupid question: I am having no trouble getting temps to my V2 (blue probe). However, the V2 is not sending the temps to my iPhone via Wifi. It is supposed to be able to do that, correct?

Yes it should send the Temps to your iPhone, via Wifi. 
Verify that you have established a Wifi connection with your V2. 

If you want to monitor the Airprobe temps, via direct Bluetooth, then you need to turn off your V2, put the Airport back into the charger, to reset, remove from charger and establish a Bluetooth connection via the Tappecue app.

Correction: I have a touch. Thanks

Got mine setup today - I have one of the first generation Tappecues so I am using the new probe directly to a phone via bluetooth. 

I haven't had an opportunity to play around with it much, yet, however during the setup process it asks for bluetooth to be enabled.  I've noticed even with bluetooth enabled, if LOCATION services aren't enabled the probe won't add. 

Also, once the probe is added, once viewing temps location can be turned off (bluetooth on), however if I navigation to a different screen on the app, or close the app and reopen it, location services need to be reenabled to "readd" the probe.

I have a Sony Xperia XZ2 (H8314) running Android 10.  I tend to keep location off for privacy - not sure why the Tappecue Probe would even need location/GPS data to function.

After doing a few cooks, over the past few weeks, my iPad Pro 2 and iPhone 11 Pro Max are both intermittently losing the BT connection. Both are within 10-15 feet from the Traeger grill. 

This is troublesome, because, when I am waiting for the meat to reach a set temperature, there can be a delay in getting an alert, creating a potential for over cooking. 

I love using the AirProbe, with my Tappecue Touch, but I don't find the direct to device via BT to be at all reliable. 

The direct BT to device will be OK, for times when My WIFI is down, and BlueTooth is all I have. 

I too ran into the same issues today. Probes finally failed to connect. Finally had to break out my Touch and go wired. The probes seemed to work fine through the Touch.

Thanks for the Feedback.

Mike, we will work on taking off the location services except for when finding probes.

Kip and Steve,  Is there an area where a opening is that you can put the mobile devices in place such as up higher?  For example, we have an exhaust vent that we open that will let the signal come out.  Placing the device closer to this exhaust vent helps.  

We will also work on alerts that are in the app vs push notifications so you can get an alert if bluetooth is lost within a couple of minutes.

We are looking at a repeater option as well.

Doesn’t that defeat the purpose of connecting directly to the mobile device  if I have to place the mobile device next to a vent? I’d rather just run off the TapTouch and go over WiFi.

Steve,

You are correct.  We would much rather use the Touch with WiFi.  The iOS and Android Apps are more so for those who don't have a Touch and are using the AirProbes independently between the apps and the AirProbe or don't have WiFi.  In that case, a Tablet or iPad would be good so you could still get the WiFi aspect on your phone from anywhere.  The Tablet or iPAD would work something like a repeater except to the Cloud so you could still be anywhere.

Thanks for the question,

Gina

Gina, My iPad is right next to a 2nd story window, about 10’ away from the grill. Maybe the metal blinds are inferring with the signal? Next time I’ll raise the blinds.
Login or Signup to post a comment